Phone: 941-322-1000 | Email: [email protected]
Poison Ivy grows in many forms including as a small plant, a climbing vine, or a trailing shrub. Inconspicuous yellowish flowers mature into tiny whitish fruits, an important wildlife food. An oily sap containing the irritating substance urushiol is present in the plant tissue and on the plant surface when bruised. Direct or indirect contact (touching tools, animals, clothes) or inhaling smoke when burning the plant can cause moderate to severe inflammation and allergic complications. Birds are immune to the plant.
Latin Name: Toxicodendron Radicans
Habitat: Oak Hammock, Swamp
Species Alert! Poisonous